Levels of meaning
The levels of meaning are explained in [147:4] and some related thoughts are described here. They were discussed in depth in the episode Jesus in Galilee—Early Public Work (Part 8)
Don't just blindly accept/believe levels of meaning. Critically ask why there are levels of meaning. Answering "why" questions reflectively and philosophically is how you can approach truth.
As you study this page, bear in mind:
- Encircuitment in the Holy Spirit potentially reforms animal mind into human mind, opening you to the levels of meaning.
- Perhaps only superconsciously for many of them, but still, you're immediately and forever better than an animal.
- Indeed, your superconscious will be in touch with the higher levels of meaning long before your consciousness is.
- Only humans can have meaning, no animla can.
- That's because meaning is the superadditive consequence of things and values.
- So even lowest levels of meaning are not some primitive "thing-ness". Respect, don't despise, the levels for what they are.
- the levels build upward, yes, but not purely in a "build it from the bottom-up" way.
- A top-down influence is casting a shadow down, drawing you upward.
Level 0: (implicit) Fear
- Mechanical mind and your basic foundational individuality.
- Non-teachable mind, or more precisely for us, pre-adjutant mind.
Level 1: Flesh
- We also could call this the level of selfishness.
- It's where we all start. God made this level; it is not inherently evil.
- The toddler shouting "MINE" is at this level, and age-appropriately so.
- This is fear transformed into anguish and dread
- Adjutants 1, 2, and 3 (short term).
- Anguish is individuality like. Dread is unity like.
- The first three adjutant mind-spirits are coordinated into this level.
- The in-the-moment adjutants. The ones about the flesh functioning in the moment.
- That is, meaning that is in the moment.
- Sex love [68:2.4]. Lust fits in here, as well.
- But even this isn't purely animal anymore because it is a meaning.
- Golden rule interpretation: Do unto others what you want to have done that gratifies the flesh, in the moment.
- You ought to resemble this level and "get it" quite easily.
Level 2: Feeling
- This is fear transformed into awe and reverence
- This is as high as fear can take you from the bottom-up.
- Adjutants 4, 5, and 6 (long term)
- Awe is individuality like. Reverence is unity like.
- Here, love is a feeling. At least it's not just an urge on the level of flesh.
- Sym- + -pathy: with + feelings
- Golden rule interpretation: Do unto others what you want to have done that gratifies my feelings
- "If I am feeling pity for someone, I will do something to assuage my feelings. If the result is positive, I will subjectively declare it good."
- You ought to resemble this level and "get it" quite easily.
- These are individuality, associativity, and unity, respectively.
- They are not so in the moment. A tiny measure of existentialization, a little less locked to the sands of time.
- Feelings would be impossible if you were just in the moment.
- And as humans, our feelings are inherently different from animals, as we are aware of our feelings.
Level 3: Mind
Be honest. Now we're getting into mysterious, hazy, mostly consciously unknown territory...
- The level of human mind.
- This is recognition in the context of getting about reverence [149:6].
- It isn't about flesh. It isn't about feelings. So what is this?
- The level of self-respect (or self-regard).
- The worthwhileness of your selfhood.
- "No self respecting person would do that!" some are fond of saying. What did they mean by that?
- Recognize the innate nobility in yourself, and therefore in all others. And act accordingly.
- The level of the 7th adjutant (wisdom)
- This is the highest level you ought to go with a self-orientation. Above this you ought to focus on others increasingly.
Level 4: Brotherly love
- The level of kindness.
- Which is "kin-like-ness", or "family love."
- Ergo, this is "love your neighbor as yourself" level.
- Golden rule interpretation: Do unto others what that which is kind, kin-like, brotherly.
- This is much more than mutual self-respect as animal-origin beings. This is grounded in the fatherhood of God.
- Mere feelings are not a predicate for things such as this.
- The level of mutual self-sacrifice.
- The level of Scientific consciousness
- The logical level. The first cosmic intuition
- This is realization in the context of getting about reverence [149:6].
- The logical acumen, cause and effect, reveals the brotherhood of man following logically from the fatherhood of God.
- "consequent recognition of the brotherhood of man." con- + -sequent, with + logical sequence.
- The lowest level of meaning that is in the upper domain of the mind in the hourglass analogy.
- Having coordinated the adjutants into one effective mode of spiritualized mind, you have a new foundation on which to stand.
- (Spiritualized mind is not the same as spirit. It's "unity-ized" mind)
Level 5: Moral level
- The level of moral duty.
- Of moral consciousness. In the wholeness of the cosmos sense of morality.
- The level of the second cosmic intuition.
- This is appreciation in the context of transcending reverence [149:6].
- There is an innate wholeness here on this level already, because the 2nd cosmic intuition already is a superadditive consequence of the 1st and 3rd.
- This is not just what is kind (Level 4), but what is right.
- The level of selflessness (imagine an impartial 3rd person), not just "mere unselfishness."
- The classic stoic aspired to this level with the "I was constantly strive to do what I ought to, regardless of what others think."
- But they got stuck here. Religion as a glorified moralism.
- Uh-oh: this is the level where self-esteem can reside
- Which is a problem. Self-esteem is a growing individual self-righteous consciousness.
- Far better to have a moral consciousness of the cosmos.
Level 6: Spiritual level
- The level of genuine love.
- Love as in transcending reverence [149:6].
- Wholly beyond selflessness, this is the level of God-likeness.
- The level of fatherly love (not level 4's brotherly love)
- A personal realization of divine fellowship
- The level of true friendship.
- That's because friend is a high word--it means "to love."
- It's one thing to lay your life down for your kin (4th level). Can you do so for friends?
- Friendship is transcendent of time.
- That's how Jesus could lay down his life for his apparent (in time) enemies, for they were truly (in eternity) his friends.
- The Golden rule level of "do unto others what that which is God-like."
- The level of Jesus' new commandment: "love one another as Jesus loves us."
- The level of genuine loving service.
- Not urge-ful service. Not self-service service. Not feeling-ful service...
- Loyalty-based service, not sacrifice-based or mututal self-sacrifice based service
- "Do unto others that which is genuinely loving."
- The level of Spiritual consciousness
- A level anchored in the inner life, not the external world
- A level remarkably removed from even the most sublime self-gratification you ever have felt. Four levels above that! Ponder that.
- A level of God-knowingness. Almost entirely known on our planet.
- Someone observed functioning on this highest level will evoke one of two popular responses:
- A) Wow, that's a unnatural, God-like person.
- B) Wow, that person is beside themself.
Practical application suggestions
- In any circumstance you're approaching, reflect on which level you seem to most resemble
- Suggest to others that there are levels beyond feelings. Most people are stuck there.