Episode:Evolutionary Religion—Ghost Cults (Part 4)
February 27, 2018 [Paper 87:5.6-6.13, p. 963]
Under the spirit cult, life was at best a gamble, the result of spirit control. From age to age and from generation to generation, men have sought to improve this superghost doctrine, but no generation has ever yet dared to wholly reject it. The whole cult was a scheme designed to placate, satisfy, and buy off the spirits through disguised bribery.
Summary by Kermit
Commentary on the Review
We revisited the phenomenon of the independent emergence of the notion of two kinds of spirit ghosts, good and bad, and the subsequent religio-philosophic advance of dual spiritism. A caller inquired whether this might be explained by the so-called hundredth monkey effect. Could the ubiquitous mind ministry and presence of the Local Universe Mother Spirit explain such an effect? Setting aside the validity of this “hundredth monkey business”, we discussed possible explanations for the original phenomenon of the emergence of dual spiritism. The common misunderstandings and underestimation concerning the sophistication and complexity of the human mind might lead to a conclusion that such insights originate from without. The question becomes then whether this recognition actually comes from an external source or does it take origin in the mind secondary to the encircuitment in the Holy Spirit and represent a vertical movement to higher interactions with mind? Further discussion touched on issues of God’s transcendence (Father Deity) and God’s immanence (Mother Deity). Also, involved were issues of the whole (Mother) and the part (Father). This conversation touched on some important concepts relating to the nature and function of adjutant mind, including the process of personalization (individuation) within the Divine Minister’s local universe mindal womb. Listen carefully to the archive of this broadcast for the whole story.
Another caller sparked an intriguing discussion about the meaning our lives hold for us as individuals versus the meaning of our lives for the Supreme.
The consideration of the origins of humility as an attempt to foil and deceive envious spirits should give all those attempting to cultivate favorable conditions for being cosmically grown cause to pause. How operative are these original motivations in our sincere attempts to embody humility? Self-mastery demands objective discrimination of motives, intentions, and behavior. Do our intentions reflect adherence or obedience to a more system or a response to genuine insight?
Who knew that civilized modesty, restraint, and courtesy are artifacts of more severe forms of self-abnegation practiced by the ancients to defend against the jealousy of the spirits? Such early efforts served to greatly handicap advancement in art.
Spirit propitiation survives today in the form of burdensome ceremonies and rituals throughout the world in spite of recurrent efforts to improve this superghost doctrine. Individual effort, industry, of talent were only of value in securing a prosperous future to the degree they were effective in influencing the controlling spirits. Thus did the old wineskins of duty, righteousness, and truth—all of which are defined in terms of their efficacy to secure favorable treatment by the spirits—become established so long ago. Sad to record that the religious practices of today, unbeknownst to so many represent the same scheme designed to placate, satisfy, and buy off the spirits through disguised bribery! With the 5th ER we now have access to authoritative definitions of these words enabling those who choose to fashion wineskins suitable for the new wine. This paper on ghost cults is an exposition of the origin and history of the philosophic framework operative in the world today, and we are invited to courageously and independently scrutinize it and with the guidance of the 5th ER adopt a new framework commensurate with our revealed destiny.
87:6. Coercion and Exorcism
With the recognition of the good and bad spirits, ceremonies and practices of a more positive nature appeared. Going beyond propitiation, attempts to coerce good luck and even compel spirit cooperation were devised. Exorcism went so far as to employ one spirit in the control of another. And the revelation narrative provides several examples of these practices and their less obvious residual artifacts observable today.
Notes by Brad
- Consistency is not a hallmark of primitive peoples: ghosts to them simultaneously are idiotic (We can trick them) and omniscient.
- And this sounds a lot like how we feel about God as well. We can trick him with empty words, but he also is omniscient.
- Concerning an idea springing up independently all over the world... is this like the 100th Monkey Effect? Some mindal phenomenon?
- Before looking for an external explanation, consider the internal explanation. Can ideas arise within ourselves?
- Try first: the basic endowment of mind gives us the capability to deduce things ourselves.
- Only then if that's not a sufficient explanation: consider an "immediately later", say, God the Mother influence (immanence)
- And only then finally: consider God the Father for some direct intercession.
- Evolution is a very parallel phenomenon.
- When born on Earth, you don't have a mind of your own... yet. Your material mind is a loaner from the Divine Minister.
- So how will you stand on your own two feet? That's the soul. That's personality.
- Does your life have individual meaning to you as an individual? Not by default! Not at all! Very much of what we do in this mortal life is like being "a cell in the Supreme"--our meaning is duty to the Supreme.
- This author notes that mono no aware describes some of the poignancy some of this eleicits in him as he reflects on his life at year 40, looking over the childhood back yard he grew up in.
- So, humble is a favorable condition for being grown. Great. Is that an old wineskin or new one you've got there?
- Is your humility of the ghost cult flavor? Are you trying to foil or deceive the ghosts... ahem, or God? Are you robotically reciting platitudes from the more system? That's a very old wineskin.
- Or is your humility deeper and more profound?
- It's a spectrum, of course. The key is know thyself.
- Don't ever be satisfied with your success. Strive to not do things that could be programmed into a computer algorithm.
- A book cannot be a philosophic framework. Your philosophic framework exists in your mind. Have you ever even inspected your own philosophic framework?
- Provocative idea: The ghost cult, the God cult, the government/bureaucracy cult.
- Does your corporate or government job resemble you placating the bureaucracy? Something to think about.
- "Lord, what is your will for me?" is very easily just a reworking of the ghost cult.
- How much of your religious life is just a reworking of the old wineskin, the old framework, the ghost cult?
- Have you wholly rejected the old framework? Most likely not. At least not yet. Something to reflect on.
- They lay it out clearly: here are the three pillars of the old philosophic framework. What are your definitions of duty, righteousness, and truth?
- Is your rightneteousness about conforming others to your interests? That's the old wineskin. God is a pawn in your game. True righteousness is conformity with the cosmos.
- Quid est veritas? Are you pursuing a correct understanding toward God? That isn't "true truth." That's the old wineskin.
- Has God replaced ghost? And then has government replaced God? That's secularism. There's a lot of that going around these days.
- Is the evolutionary mainstream "slow, very slow?" You bet. But you don't have to be "slow, very slow."
- [Paper 87] is pivotal and sweeping to the revelation. Perhaps on par with [16:6]. It's revealing a default philosophic framework you're born into and swimming in. The old wineskins.
- This paper is devastating, really. It lays waste to most of the ways we've always thought about things.
- This paper is rugged. If you red it and feel placid ("oh this was all in the past"), you're missing all the truth this paper reveals.
- This paper shows you the lines defining the shape of that which you should take an eraser to, and start anew.
- Can you do better than just making fun of the old wineskin when this paper gives you a tool to recognize it out there, outside yourself? Can you look at yourself and see all the ways the old wineskins are bound to you? Perhaps more or less wholly?