Episode:Jesus in Galilee—Early Public Work (Part 4)
August 14, 2018 [Paper 146:3.1-4.2, p. 1641]
True and genuine inward certainty does not in the least fear outward analysis, nor does truth resent honest criticism. You should never forget that intolerance is the mask covering up the entertainment of secret doubts as to the trueness of one’s belief. No man is at any time disturbed by his neighbor’s attitude when he has perfect confidence in the truth of that which he wholeheartedly believes.
Summary by Andrea
Commentary on the Review
After listening to the review a member of our Symmetry of Soul team talked about how he had used the previous broadcast to help him relieve some mental anxiety by using prayer as a means to explore all possibilities surrounding a material issue. It was then pointed out that there is a difference between prayer and worshipful problem solving. What we are trying to foster is getting up to an objective vantage point and then approaching things with a top-down perspective. Attempting to solve things with a bottom-up perspective does not allow us to get above the self which is almost always the issue. Prayer is self-reminding, worship is self-forgetting. Connecting with Deity gives us the top-down perspective and therefore an objective perspective.
We are attempting in this life to become self-aware selves. This is a gradual process of becoming more and more objective in our life and begins with the grace bestowed upon us by God. But that initiation is just the beginning. We must take that initial encircuitment in the Holy Spirit and use our personality to backfill what was given in grace. Our relationship to eternity must be completely our freewill choice. Grace is temporary--it is of time, not of eternity.
If we take delight in cultivating this objective mind we will be grown. We will be able to handle difficulties with efficiency and originality. Deity is above God and that is what we are called to connect with in order to claim this top-down perspective. It is a profound shift to imagine Deity as transcendent of God.
Regarding item #14 from the previous broadcast we learned that the word “up” is also used when thinking about prayer. True worship is not something that has anything to do with the outer life. We’ve always thought it was a group activity but it’s just the opposite. Most people think of worship as the outward experience of prayer that is done as a group activity. But in fact, you’re halfway there with prayer and if you continue inward you experience worship. Worship helps us become slowly aware that we are a little bit more of a self-aware-self then we were before.
We are reminded that because of the miracles that have occurred thus far in our reading Jesus now has a limited ability to be effective in a public ministry capacity. Consequently, the apostles are doing the preaching. Jesus is now concentrating on private ministry with individuals. Jesus meets with a philosopher who thought that science and philosophy are adequate frames of reference to achieve a correct world view. In their conversation Jesus reminds him of that third element, religion. He informs the philosopher about the superadditive consequence of religion and science to arrive at the objective viewpoint of philosophy. Even though the Greeks at that time had coined the word philosophy they had not really discovered what it meant. We see ourselves, even today, struggling with the same issues. Only in the 5th epochal revelation can we begin to understand what the word philosophy really means.
Jesus tells the philosopher that Religion is the revelation to man’s soul. He suggests he add that third element of spiritual realities to his worldview to enable the connection that he was seeking. Religion means being bound back to eternity. When you bring religion in then you can begin to have true philosophy in play.
The concept of “saving truths” was discussed. But people confuse correct understanding and Truth (Quid es veritas?). The facts of time do not save like the truths of eternity. You may have a vast knowledge about the facts of time but that has no relation to the saving truths of eternity. There is no salvation in facts. In addition, when speaking of the heart the revelators are referring to the upper domain in the hourglass analogy of the mind.
We then went on to read in Section 3 paragraph 2 where the Jesus tells the apostles among other things “You should never forget that intolerance is the mask covering up the entertainment of secret doubts as to the trueness of one's belief. No man is at any time disturbed by his neighbor's attitude when he has perfect confidence in the truth of that which he wholeheartedly believes.”
The point was made that, again, we should not confuse correct understanding with the truths of eternity. The only way you cannot resent honest criticism is if your facts about time are being upheld by the truths of eternity. If you have a grasp on the truths of eternity you can stand unmoved, calm and collected while your viewpoint may come under attack.
However, we are not talking about 2 people who disagree about the facts of time. So, how do we know what Truth is? Are we so certain that we know? If we desire to become truth seekers how do we go in search of something that we are unclear about in the first place? This section is about Truth. It uses the word ‘trueness’ which is a more precise word than truth. The -ness suffix reminds us of words like redness--it denotes a quality. We can ask ourselves; do the facts of time have the qualities of being true?
We discussed the importance of this paragraph for our own lives. We see our world becoming more and more intolerant because of a lack of objective thinking. In general, the people that are the most up in arms about intolerance are themselves, the most intolerant. They only tolerate others who have the same supposed “correct understanding” of things according to their belief system. This is becoming a huge issue.
So again, truth is not knowledge or correct understanding. Those things can be given to someone. Truth cannot be. In paragraph 5 Jesus is basically explaining that many of his associates at the time did not have Thought Adjusters. Some will be eligible to receive one if they believe his word. And he makes reference to the Spirit of Truth that will be poured out after his death which will then enable all normal minded people to get a Thought Adjuster. A Thought Adjuster assures the creation of a soul and consequently ensures a person will move on to the mansion worlds after death. This does not guarantee fusion with the Thought Adjuster but does allow one to move on to a progressive universe experience.
In paragraph 6 Jesus explains what the Thought Adjuster is doing in our minds. He let’s us know we cannot observe the divine spark at work in our minds. The revelators are always trying to keep us grounded and not fly off on some magical mystery tour of our own imagination.
We were reminded that the 4th epochal revelation did not make plain the path from this world to the next. That is the mission of the 5th epochal revelation. In addition, it is mentioned that great progress is made once the SoT is poured out. But it is a double-edged sword. Our modern-day philosophers deny the existence of insight. So you have active willful rejection of the ‘reality response’ that should never have been short circuited.
In the past Jews only had a religion of social justice up to the 6th century BC at the time of the exile. When you’re fixated on social justice you are only dealing with the facts of time and not eternal survival. Nowadays we are getting back in that same mode. People are suggesting that righteousness has something to do with how many social justice projects you have under your belt. We want to remember that social justice has nothing whatsoever to do with real religion. It’s about the outer life and not the inner life.
We read about how Jesus was welcomed into the synagogues around Galilee. Free speech seemed to rule the day until certain ideologies began to awaken intolerance within the synagogues and Jesus became almost entirely banned from speaking in them.
This is happening today as well in our universities when they withhold a platform to speak by people who they feel do not share their worldview. What we need again, is more objective understanding. Therefore, a tolerance born of understanding can be precipitated.
Notes by Brad
- Worshipful problem solving (not bottom-up prayerful problem solving). Don't pray for paychecks. But be open to the wider view that a wider and more objective vantage point can offer. Synchronize with Deity.
- It's subtle. Our connection to the Holy Spirit by grace connects us to Deity.
- Gifts of the spirit--gifts from God the Mother--help obtain this top-down view. Even common sense--the true frist cosmic intuition--is a gift of the spirit.
- As one is grown upward, the presence of deep-seated animal fear seem to become all the more apparent. This writer has a lot of growing left to do. A lot of self-mastery remaining.
- Deity (capital D) is even transcendent of God the Father. In the 5th ER Deity is not a synonym for God.
- Deity is above all personalities. It is the context in which personalities are coordinates.
- Here are some maps of this area in Jesus time (thanks, Chat Room!)
- Been trying to figure out what philosophy truly refers to. The 5th ER gives us a means to understand that at last. Plato didn't even figure it out!
- But Plato roughly understood spirit... the substance that casts a shadow into the material.
- And there was a Hellenization of Palestine at this time, so Jesus played off their acceptance of this analogy often.
- Jesus approach a Greek philosopher using his language, his constructs, his analogies. This made the philosopher "susceptible" to his teachings.
- There is a steadiness' to the truths of eternity, in contrast to the facts of time. Well, obviously, sure. But sit with that. That's something. Truths can span millennia.
- Want to go beyond just leaning on your grace? It takes dedicating a major portion of your life to reflective thinking.
- Recall the four levels of philosophy ([101:7.4]). It's quite a journey.
- Does anyone today reach the 4th level, the level where one truly can fear not?
- Is your certainty true, genuine, and inner? Or have you just brainwashed yourself into a doctrinal system you smugly hold above all others?
- Truth is not "correct understanding." Truth is far beyond this.
- So, be a truth seeker.
- Be humble. Be deductive. Supply favorable conditions to be grown.
- Trueness is a words that appears here. And only here. That wasn't an accident, or just a way to mix things up.
- It is used in the context of an aged Greek philosopher. The -ness suffix is something worth reflecting on.
- Each day, can you strive to be a little less' disturbed by your neighbor's attitude?
- "Perfect confidence" and "wholehearted belief" are a high bar, a worthy goal, a high one.
- Of is a complex word. It can have several connotations--we've mentioned this before but always important to bear in mind when critically studying here.
- Please stop looking for signs and wonders that the Thought Adjuster is at work in your mind. You cannot do it. And it's dangerous to postulate as to this, as we all are fond of recalling from elsewhere in the 5th ER.
- Social justice isn't bad (don't think in dichotomies). But it has nothing at all to do with religion. Stop turning yourself inside out.
- Note again throughout here: Jesus is not preaching in public places. That's the apostle. Jesus is focusing on private ministry, and teaching the apostles.